Dr. Valeria Cetorelli
LSE Middle East Centre
Houghton St, London WC2A 2AE, UK
Dr. Valeria Cetorelli is Demographer at the UN Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia and Visiting Fellow at the LSE Middle East Centre. She holds a PhD in Demography from the LSE and has expertise in population-based data collection and analysis. Her research focuses on the use of demographic methods in the study of conflict-affected, forced-migrant, and other vulnerable populations. She has obtained research grants from the UK Economic and Social Research Council, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Emirates Foundation for Philanthropy and Suntory-Toyota Foundation. She has also been awarded various research prizes, including a Richard Titmuss Prize, a British Society for Population Studies Award and an Emirates Foundation Award. Prior to joining the UN Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia, she worked as Research Officer at the LSE Middle East Centre and at the Johns Hopkins Center for Humanitarian Health and served as Research Consultant for UNICEF Regional Office for the Middle East and North Africa and UNFPA Regional Office for the Arab States.
Demographic Methods; Population-Based Data; Health and Human Rights; Humanitarian Emergencies; Sustainable Development
13. Cetorelli V, Burnham G, Shabila N. Health Needs and Care Seeking Behaviours of Yazidis and Other Minority Groups Displaced by ISIS into the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. PLOS One 2017, 12(8):e0181028.
12. Cetorelli V, Sasson I, Shabila N, Burnham G. ISIS' Yazidi Genocide. Foreign Affairs 2017.
11. Cetorelli V, Sasson I, Shabila N, Burnham G. Mortality and Kidnapping Estimates for the Yazidi Population in the Area of Mount Sinjar, Iraq, in August 2014: A Retrospective Household Survey. PLOS Medicine 2017, 14(5):e1002297.
10. Dyson T, Cetorelli V. Changing Views on Child Mortality and Economic Sanctions in Iraq: A History of Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics. BMJ Global Health 2017, 2:e000311.
9. Cetorelli V., Khawaja M. Intensity of Conflict and Fertility in the Occupied Palestinian Territory: A longitudinal Study. The Lancet 2017, 390:S30.
8. Busetta A, Cetorelli V, Wilson B. A Universal Health Care System? Unmet Need for Medical Care Among Regular and Irregular Immigrants in Italy. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health 2017.
7. Cetorelli V, Burnham G, Shabila N. Prevalence of Non-Communicable Diseases and Access to Health Care and Medications among Yazidis and Other Minority Groups Displaced by ISIS into the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. Conflict and Health 2017, 11:4.
6. Leone T, Cetorelli V, Neal S, Matthews Z. Financial Accessibility and User Fee Reforms for Maternal Healthcare in Five Sub-Saharan Countries: A Quasi-Experimental Analysis. BMJ Open 2016, 6:e009692.
5. Busetta A, Cetorelli V, Stranges M. Remittance Behaviours of Foreigners in Italy. International Migration 2015, 54(2):98-118.
4. Cetorelli V. The Effect on Fertility of the 2003-2011 War in Iraq. Population and Development Review 2014, 40(4):581-604.
3. Cetorelli V, Shabila N. Expansion of Health Facilities in Iraq a Decade After the US-led Invasion, 2003-2012. Conflict and Health 2014, 8:16.
2. Cetorelli V. The Impact of the Iraq War on Neonatal Polio Immunisation Coverage: A Quasi-Experimental Study. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 2013, 69:226-231.
1. Cetorelli V, Leone T. Is Fertility Stalling in Jordan? Demographic Research 2012, 26(13):293-318.