All files are in PDF format unless otherwise mentioned. Please send comments to: email@example.com
1. Motivating Knowledge Agents: Can Incentive Pay Overcome Social Distance? (with E.Berg, R. Manjula, D. Rajasekhar, Sanchari Roy). Economic Journal, Volume 129, Issue 617, 1 January 2019, Pages 110–142
2. Measures of Development—Concepts, Causality, and Context, in P. Ray, R. Sarkar, and A. Sen (ed.s) Economics, Management and Sustainability - Essays in Honour of Anup Sinha, Singapore: Springer, 2018.
3. Commericalization and the Decline of Joint Liability Microcredit, (with J. de Quidt, T. Fetzer). Journal of Development Economics, Volume 134, Pages 303-312, September 2018.
4. Market Structure and Borrower Welfare in Microfinance, (with Jon de Quidt and Thiemo Fetzer), Volume128, Issue 610, Pages 1019-1046, Economic Journal, May 2018.
5. Is the credit worth it? For-profit Lenders in microfinance with rational and behavioral borrowers (with Jon de Quidt), Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Volume 89, Issue 1, 2018, Pages 175-199.
6. Persistence of Poverty and Anti-Poverty Policies, in The Economics of Poverty Traps, ed.s C. Barrett, M. Carter, and J.-P. Chavas, National Bureau of Economic Research Conference Report, Chicago:University of Chicago Press, 2018.
7. Credit Market Frictions and Political Failure (with Madhav Aney and Masismo Morelli). Journal of Monetary Economics. Volume 81, August 2016, Pages 48–64.
8. Group Lending Without Joint Liability (with Jon de Quidt and Thiemo Fetzer). Journal of Development Economics. Volume 121, July 2016, Pages 217-236.
9. Theories of Poverty Traps and Anti-Poverty Policies, World Bank Economic Review, Papers and Proceedings of the ABCDE, Vol 29 (Supplement 1): S77-S105 , August 2015.
10. Contractual Structure in Agriculture with Endogenous Matching, (with Alexander Karaivanov), Journal of Development Economics, Volume 110, Pages 239-249, September 2014.
11. Land Acquisition for Industrialization and Compensation for Displaced Farmers, (with Dilip Mookherjee). Journal of Development Economics, Volume 110, Pages 303-312, September 2014.
12. Trade and the Allocation of Talent with Capital Market Imperfections, (with Roberto Bonfatti). Journal of International Economics,Volume 89, Issue 1, p. 187–201, January 2013.
13. Marry for What? Partner Selection in Modern India, (with Abhijit Banerjee, Esther Duflo, and Jeanne Lafortune). [Online Appendix]. American Economic Journal (Microeconomics), 5(2), p. 33–72, May 2013.
14. Incentives and the de Soto Effect,, (with Tim Besley and Kornad Burchardi), Quarterly Journal of Economics, Volume 127, Issue 1, p. 237-282, February 2012.
15. Spanning the Chasm: Uniting Theory and Empirics in Microfinance Research, (with Greg Fischer), in B. Armendariz and M. Labie (ed.s), Handbook of Microfinance, World Scientific, 2011.
16. Property Rights and Economic Development (with Tim Besley), in D. Rodrik and M. Rosenzweig (ed.s) Handbook of Development Economics V, North Holland, 2010.
17. Entrepreneurial Talent, Occupational Choice, and Trickle Up Policies (with Massimo Morelli and Tomas Sjostrom), Journal of Economic Theory, Volume 137, No. 1, November 2007.
18. Land Reform and Agricultural Productivity in India: A Review of the Evidence (with Sanchari Roy), Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Vol. 23(2): India, Summer 2007.
19. Land Reform, entry in The Oxford Companion to Economics in India edited by Kaushik Basu, Oxford University Press, 2007.
20. Subcontractors for Tractors : Theory and Evidence on Flexible Specialization, Supplier Selection, and Contracting , (with Tahir Andrabi and Asim Ijaz Khwaja). Journal of Development Economics, April 2006.
22. Public Goods and Economic Development, (with Tim Besley), Understanding Poverty, (ed.s) A. Banerjee, R. Benabou, and D. Mookherjee, editors, Oxford University Press: 2006.
23. Joint Liability Lending and the Peer Selection Effect, (with S. Gangopadhyay and R. Lensink), Economic Journal, October 2005.
24. Eviction Threats and Investment Incentives, (with Abhijit Banerjee) Journal of Development Economics, August 2004.
25. Can Unobserved Heterogeneity in Farmer Ability Explain the Inverse Relationship between Farm Size and Productivity? (with Juliano Assuncao), Economics Letters, August 2003.
26. A Simple Model of Inequality, Occupational Choice and Development, (with Nien-Huei Jiang). Journal of Development Economics, Vol. 69, No. 1, October 2002.
27. Empowerment and Efficiency: Tenancy Reform in West Bengal, (with Abhijit Banerjee and Paul Gertler). Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 110, No. 2, April 2002. [See press coverage]
28. Occupational Choice and Dynamic Incentives, (with Massimo Morelli and Tomas Sjostrom). Review of Economic Studies, Vol. 68, No. 4, October 2001 p. 781-810.
29. Contract Choice in Agriculture with Joint Moral Hazard in Effort and Risk, (with Priyanka Pandey). Journal of Development Economics, Vol.63, No.2, December 2000.
30. Screening by the Company You Keep: Joint Liability Lending and the Peer Selection Effect. Economic Journal, Vol.110, Issue 465, July 2000.
31. Diversified Business Groups in Emerging Economies (with R. Kali), Money and Finance, Vol.2, No. 4, Oct.-Dec. 2000
32. The Economics of Lending with Joint Liability : Theory and Practice (with Timothy W. Guinnane). Journal of Development Economics, Vol.60, No.1, October 1999. Reprinted in Readings in the Theory of Economic Development (ed.s) D. Mookherjee and D. Ray, London: Blackwell (2000). See also Corrections to this paper, Journal of Development Economics, Vol.69, No.1, October 2002.
33. Group Lending, Local Information and Peer Selection. Journal of Development Economics, Vol.60, No.1, October 1999.
Last modified: April 2019. ©2019 Maitreesh Ghatak, all rights reserved.
Last modified: April 2019.
©2019 Maitreesh Ghatak, all rights reserved.