Op-Eds and Essays
Classified under topic heads (with
links): Economics -
General, Misc, Development & Policy, Indian Economy & Politics, West Bengal Economy, & Interviews
click here for all essays organised in chronological order
How Bad Is India's Economic Crisis? Brace Yourself, in NDTV.com, September
India Recover? (pdf version), Interview in India Today,
September 7, 2020.
Rishi Sunak's Plan For UK To India's Steps, in NDTV.com, July 20, 2020.
4. We Threw Our Workers under
the Bus, Reader's Digest, Indian Edition, July 2020.
blueprint to protect labour rights without constraining capital, Hindustan
Times, July 4, 2020.
governments can be better armed financially to fight Covid-19 by issuing public
health bonds, The
Economic Times, June 5, 2020.
to reorganise the World Health Organization – and how to finance it, in LSE Business Review, June 5,
World Health Organization: A GRID for reform, in VoxEU.org, May 30, 2020.
it work? (pdf version), Interview in India Today,
May 23, 2020.
Certainly Forced into Atmanirbhar Abhiyan,
in NDTV.com, May
indispensability of labour in reviving India’s economic engine, Hindustan
Times, May 8, 2020.
Twin Crises of Covid-19 and How to Resolve Them, The India Forum, April 28, 2020.
up action to ease poverty amid this crisis, Evening Standard, April 21, 2020.
World Has a $2.5 Trillion Problem. Here’s How to Solve It. The New York Times, April 20, 2020.
Will Upend the 'Profits Over People' Mantra of Globalisation, The Wire,
April 4, 2020.
Points of Concern On Government's Much-Needed Economic Package, in NDTV.com, March 28, 2020.
17. Coronavirus: How will it
change us? Podcast of panel discussion, BBC – The Real Story,
March 27, 2020.
crumbling of India’s economy, Hindustan
Times, March 24, 2020.
Economics – General
additions to empirical research, The
Hindu, October 18, 2019.
Lies Behind Abhijit Banerjee’s Nobel, The Open Magazine, October
- Pricing Social Returns in Economic Growth, Business
Standard, October 19, 2018.
- Poverty and Inequality in
a ‘Principles of Economics’ Textbook, (web version), Economic and Political Weekly of India, Vol.
53, Issue No. 24, 16 Jun, 2018
Thaler’s Nobel Win, Behavioural Economics Has Officially Made Its Way Into
the Mainstream, The Wire,
October 13, 2017.
prize in Economics 2016: The economy as a nexus of contracts. Ideas for India,
October 20, 2016 (shorter version
co-published in Business
Deaton - The Real World Economist, The Indian Express, October 16,
2015 (See longer version in
- What Crisis Has Taught
Express, New Delhi, January 9, 2010.
- Buying Land
and Selling Kidneys, Financial
Express, New Delhi, November 9 & 16, 2009.
lack of mobility hinders the India story, Hindustan
Times, October 9, 2020.
Would Make India’s Growth Sustainable?
The India Forum,
August 15, 2020.
long-term solution to poverty but useful ‘first-aid’, NYAY
e-Symposium, Ideas for India,
May 1, 2019.
- How the
Congress can make the minimum income guarantee scheme a reality, in CNBCTV18.com, March 27, 2019.
Rahul Gandhi’s minimum income guarantee proposal work? Ideas for India, February 7, 2019, the
was published in NDTV.com on
January 30, 2019.
the debate fruitful, The Economic
Times, December 6, 2018.
Big Bank Theory - The Need to Move Beyond the Privatisation vs
Nationalisation Debate, The
Open Magazine, March 23, 2018.
is fine to stop some kinds of leakage and corruption. But it is no panacea,
The Economic Times,
January 23, 2018.
- India needs to create greater economic opportunities for
all, The Economic Times, October 9, 2017.
- Review Of Jean Dreze's Book, Jholawala Economics For Everyone, in NDTV.com, October 03, 2017.
- Combating poverty in developing countries with a universal
basic income, VoxDev.org, July 17, 2017 (shorter version in The Wire, July 21, 2017).
- A Universal Basic Income Scheme for India? in
Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI), Economy
Watch, April 2017, Issue 14.
- Is India ready for a universal basic income scheme?
NDTV.com, August 27, 2016
(longer version published in Ideas for India).
- The price of basic income. The Indian Express,
June 29, 2016
- Reservation Policy in India and Its Discontents,
October 11, 2015.
- 'Suit-boot' or 'Jhola'? That
Debate's a Trap, in NDTV.com, July 20, 2015 (See longer version in the Ideas for India).
a Land Acquisition Act Can Address Both Justice and Prosperity
(with Parikshit Ghosh), The Wire, June 1, 2015.
- Calling Farmer Suicides a 'Tragedy' Fails India
May 2, 2015 (See longer version in the Ideas for India).
- Empower, Don't Patronise the Farmer, The Indian Express,
March 30, 2015 (See longer version in the Ideas for India).
- The Land Acquisition Ordinance
(with Parikshit Ghosh), eSocialSciences.Org, February, 2015.
- Response to the Bhagwati-Panagariya rejoinder
on MNREGA, Ideas for India, December 14, 2014 (See shorter
version in The Times of India).
- Wrong Numbers: Attack on NREGA is Misleading,
Times of India, November 9, 2014. Click here for a pdf version.
has more than its fair share of super-rich and it isn’t a good thing
(with Debraj Ray), The Economic Times, Setember 4, 2014. Click here
for the longer Ideas for India
- Reforming India's Land Policy (with Parikshit
Ghosh and Dilip Mookherjee), Yojana, November 2013.
- The Land Acquisition Bill is Deeply Flawed (with
Parikshit Ghosh), Ideas for India, October 23, 2013.
- Developing a land acquisition policy for India,
(with Dilip Mookherjee), Ideas for India, and MINT,
Sep 5 2012 [press coverage in Times of India].
- Land acquisition: Is there a way out? (with Parikshit Ghosh), Ideas for India,
July 16, 2012 [interview in Rediff.com and press coverage in Forbes India].
- The Land
Acquisition Bill: A Critique and a Proposal, (with Parikshit Ghosh), Economic
and Political Weekly of India, October 8, 2011, Vol. XLVI, No
41. (Click here and here for shorter versions, and here for press coverage).
- Land on One’s
Square Feet, Hindustan Times, New Delhi, September 21,
- No Way Out of this
Plot, (with Sanjay Banerji), Financial Express,
New Delhi, September 30, 2009.
- Small is Smart,
New Delhi, August 24, 2009.
- Poor Man’s
Capitalism. Financial Express, New Delhi, March 23, 2009.
Entrepreneurs? Financial Express,
New Delhi, January 12, 2009.
- Where is Credit
Due? Financial Express, New Delhi, October 27,
Indian Economy & Politics
had a tough task, but Budget has failed to clear the smell test, (pdf version), The Times of India,
February 2, 2020
a huge informal economy, government should increase spending, not worry
about deficit, The Indian Express, January 22, 2020 (coverage in Financial
Trillion Economy By 2024? Magic Realism At Play Given Current Low, in NDTV.com, January 10, 2020.
Disguising The Economic Slowdown Now, in NDTV.com,
October 7, 2019.
- Modinomics - What He Promised And What We Got, in NDTV.com,
March 26, 2019.
five years prove that sustained economic growth is incompatible with toxic
Hindutva politics, in Scroll.in, March 24, 2019.
- The Mirage of Modinomics, (with Udayan Mukherjee), The India
Forum, March 8, 2019.
Growth under Modi and UPA I and II, in NDTV.com, August 30, 2018
India Grow Slower than the World when the Nehru-Gandhis
were in power? in NDTV.com,
March 13, 2018.
Heights Again, The Open
Magazine, February 9, 2018.
Signals No Achhe Din For Those Looking For Jobs,
February 2, 2018.
Poll Results Cap BJP's 2014 Hangover, Start New Chapter in Indian Politics,
CNN-IBN, December 27, 2017.
So Many Economists Are Disillusioned With the ‘Gujarat Model’? (with
Sanchari Roy), The Wire,
November 29, 2017
Gujarat Model Fails, Bring In "Padmavati" in NDTV.com,
November 24, 2017.
growth rate of income stayed the same before and after Modi, The Print, November 9, 2017
model: The gleam of state’s high growth numbers hides dark reality of
poverty, inequality, in Scroll.in,
October 25, 2017.
- Modinomics has turned into Muddlenomics,
September 27, 2017.
- Please, Let's Call A Lynching A Lynching, NDTV.com, July 5, 2017.
- The Rhetoric of Partisanship, The Wire, July 1,
- Why ‘Free’ Speech Is Not Always ‘Costless’, The Wire, June 14,
- IT Lay-Offs Reveal The Dangers That Lie Beneath,
May 18, 2017.
- Behind the Struggle Against Erosion of Free Speech is a
Fight Over the Rule of Law, The Wire, March 23, 2017.
- Demonetisation Was Bad Economics But as an Act of
Vigilantism it Served Modi Well Politically, The Wire, March 13,
- What New Spend on MGNREGA Exposes About Notes Ban,
February 1, 2017.
- Economists against demonetisation - Firing cannonballs to
kill mosquitoes, The Tribune, December 5, 2016.
- Notes Ban Beats Holograms as Modi's Campaign Gold,
November 22, 2016.
- "Mann Ki Baat" Or
"Ban Ki Baat"? Government Must Back
August 31, 2016.
- Modi Government Presented A UPA 3 Budget in NDTV.com, March 3, 2016.
- How Brand Nitish Defeated Brand Modi, in NDTV.com, November 9,
- Modi Government's Complacency Hit By Reality
(with Parikshit Ghosh) in NDTV.com, August 11, 2015.
- From ‘Mess in India’ to ‘Made in India’ as a global brand?, The Economic Times, October 13, 2014. Click here for the longer Ideas for India
- India needs more than Narendra Modi's trickle-down model,
The Guardian, July 14, 2014.
- Did Gujarat Switch to a Higher Growth Trajectory Relative
To India under Modi? A Rejoinder (with Sanchari Roy), Economic and
Political Weekly of India, May 3, 2014. A comment on this piece.
- Growth in the time of UPA: Myths and Reality
(with Parikshit Ghosh & Ashok Kotwal), Economic and Political Weekly of
India, April 19, 2014. (Reprinted
in Economic Growth and its Distribution in India
Balakrishnan, Hyderabad: Orient Blackswan,
- Winnowing fact from rhetoric: A look at what
figures tell of UPA's regime (with Parikshit Ghosh & Ashok
Kotwal), Economic Times, April 15, 2014.
- Did Gujarat’s Growth Rate Accelerate under Modi?
(with Sanchari Roy), Economic and Political Weekly of India,
April 12, 2014. See here the version with the latest year's data.
- Growth is Not the Victim of the UPA, it is the Other Way
Round, (with Parikshit Ghosh), Hindustan Times, April 3, 2014.
- A Look in the Mirror (with Sanchari Roy), Outlook, March
31, 2014. Click here for a pdf version, here for version with tables, and here for the Ideas for India
- Gujarat Model of Development and Other Growth Stories,
(with Sanchari Roy), DNA, March 31, 2014.
- Modinomics: do Narendra Modi's economic claims add up? (pdf
version) (with Sanchari Roy), The Guardian, March 13, 2014.
- Harvard, Hard Work, and Hard Facts, Economic Times,
Sunday Magazine, February 23, 2014.
- No hope left? Interpreting the West Bengal election
results, in NDTV.com, May 24, 2016.
- Spare Some Change: Mamata Hasn't Delivered Much For Bengal
April 19, 2016.
- The Chit fund crisis: Should not put all financial
intermediaries in the same bracket, (with Abhijit V. Banerjee), Ideas for India,
May 3, 2013
- Anger in the Wake of Aila (with Sreyashi Dastidar), Financial Express,
New Delhi, June 11, 2009.
- Beyond Nandigram: Industrialization in West Bengal
(with A.V. Banerjee et al), Economic and Political Weekly
of India, April
- Strategy for Economic Reform in West Bengal
(with A.V. Banerjee et al), Economic and Political Weekly
of India, October
- Bengal’s Economic Survival (with A.V. Banerjee
et al), The Telegraph, Calcutta, May
Do We Insist on Debating Politics With Our Friends and Family?, The
Wire, May 22, 2019.
Most Unforgettable Teacher, (pdf version)
Indian Edition, September 17, 2017.
- `Meghnad Badh
Rahasya’ Evokes Memories of a Movement That
Continues to Haunt Bengal’s Imagination, (with Manishita Dass), The Wire, September
- Circles in Time - Memories of Presidency College,
Autumn Annual, 2016-17, Vol. XLV, Presidency Alumni
Association, Calcutta, January 2017.
fumbles as NOTA wins US elections with 42% evading polls, Business Standard, 16
Trump Conundrum, The Open Magazine, Web
Exclusive, 2 November 2016
suggests focusing on trade and inequality may not be antithetical, The
Economic Times, June 28, 2016.
Britan, you've likely voted for a recession,
June 25, 2016.
- Fixit, Don't Brexit, in NDTV.com, June
- In an Imperfect World (with Sugata Marjit), The Telegraph, Calcutta, June
- Big Boom Theory
(with Parikshit Ghosh), The Telegraph, Calcutta, June 4, 1999.
Delivery Deficit, (pdf version), Interview in India Today, February
idea with dual impact, an interview for The Telegraph on the
co-winner of the 2019 Nobel Prize, Abhijit Banerjee, October 16, 2019.
revival roadmap, Interview in India
Today (pdf version), September 6, 2019.
price of NYAY, Interview in India Today (pdf
The Fiscal Tightrope, (pdf version),
Interview in India Today, February
Shaky Ground, (pdf version), Interview
as part of cover story on India's growth slowdown in India Today, October 19, 2018.
Me the Black Money, (pdf version), Interview
as part of cover story on demonetisation in India Today, September 08, 2018.
in the LSE
Annual Economics Review 2017-18, September 2018.
the moment, the GDP growth is at a four-year low, Interview in The National Herald, September 17, 2018.
Times but Stay Optimistic:
An Interview with Suman Ghosh, in The Telegraph, September 03, 2018.
- Ceteris Paribus, Interview at The Economie, Netherlands, September 22,
- Interview as Editor of Journal of Development Economics with
the Development Impact blog, June 5, 2012.
Back to the homepage
Last modified: January 2018
©2018 Maitreesh Ghatak, all rights reserved.