Professor, Chair in Data Science
Program Director, MSc in Data Science
Research Areas: data science, machine learning, artificial intelligence, game theory, multi-agent systems, information networks
Office: Columbia House, Room COL 5.05
Department of Statistics
London School of Economics and Political Science
London, WC2A 2AE
Phone: +44 (0)20 7107 5146
Contest Theory: Book, Review Article, Video
I am interested in supervising PhD studies in the research areas indicated above - if you are interested,
please don't hesitate to contact me.
My research and teaching activities are kindly supported by various industrial partners.
- New: Workshop on Data Science Theory and Practice to be held on March 27-28, 2018, Wolfson Theatre, LSE, bringing together academic and industrial experts in data analytics area.
- Invited talk "Scalable Machine Learning for Big Data Analytics," Huawei European Research Symposium, Paris, France, January 22-24, 2018
- Konstantin Kutzkov joined us a Research Fellow (post-doc) on January 15th, 2018 to work on machine learning algorithms in the context of large-scale network systems
- Started teaching a new course [lse-st446.github.io](https://lse-st446.github.io/) on distributed computing for big data on January 08, 2018
- Invited talk "Thurstone Choice Model Inference," Workshop on Next Generation Network Analytics, Royal Statistical Society, January 4-5, 2018
- Our new MSc in Data Science programme received its first cohort of students!
- Open post-doctoral researcher position in data science and machine learning area (now closed)
- Accepted paper "Communication-Efficient Stochastic Gradient Decent, with Applications to Neural Networks," with D. Alistarh, D. Grubic, J. Li, and R. Tomioka, NIPS 2017 (Spotlight), arxiv, featured among Microsoft @ NIPS 2017 papers
- ESRC 3+1 PhD Scholarship awarded to Kaifang Zhou on the topic Statistical Methods for Network Flow Data Analysis, August 2017
- New working paper "Submodular Maximization using Test Scores," with S. Sekar and S. Yun, June 2017, arXiv
- New review article "Contest Theory," Communications of the ACM, Volume 60, Issue 5, May 2017, ACM Digital Library, video
- New working paper "QSGD: Communication-Optimal Stochastic Gradient Descent, with Applications to Training Neural Networks," with D. Alistarh, D. Grubic, J. Li and R. Tomioka, arxiv
- New working paper "Parameter Estimation for Thurstone Choice Models," with S. Yun, April 2017, arxiv
- New working paper "Communication Complexity of Approximate Maximum Matching in the Message Passing Model," with Z. Huang, B. Radunovic, and Q. Zhang, April 2017, arxiv
- Talk "On a Portfolio Selection Problem using Individual Test Scores," Risk & Stochastics Conference, London, April 20-21, 2017. ppt, videos
- New working paper "Adaptive Matching for Expert Systems with Uncertain Task Types," with V. Shah, L. Gulikers and L. Massoulie, March 2017, arxiv
- Talk "How to Hire a Team using Individual Test Scores?" LSE Maths Seminar on Combinatorics, Games and Optimisation, London, UK, January 12, 2017 ppt
- Blog piece Contest Theory, December 14, 2016
- Talk "Communication Efficient Stochastic Gradient Descent," Huawei workshop on algorithms for next generation networks, Paris, France, November 7, 2016 ppt
- Joined LSE in October 2016, having worked at Microsoft Research for 13 years