Last updated on:
● Burden-Sharing, in Jones E., A. Menon and S Weatherill (eds.) Handbook on the European Union, Oxford University Press.
● The Impact of the EU on National Asylum Policies, in Wolff, S, Jaap de Zwaan and Flora Goudappel, on “The Area of Freedom, Security and Justice: myth or reality? Taking stock of the Lisbon Treaty and the Stockholm Programme”, The Hague: TMC Asser Press, pp. 97-116 (with El-Enany) (pdf).
● Refugee Protection as a Collective Action Problem: Is the EU Shirking its Responsibilities? European Security, Vol. 19, No2, pp. 209-29 (with El-Enany) (pdf)
● What System of Burden-Sharing between Member States for the Reception of Asylum Seekers?, Report for the European Parliament (201 pages), February 2010 (with Boswell, Williams & Matrix Knowledge) (synopsis) (full report)
● Forced Migration, Refugees and Asylum, The International Studies Compendium, Vol. IV, pp. 2313-2329, Blackwell Publishing, New York (with El-Enany) (pdf).
● The Common European Asylum System, in Luedtke, A. (ed.) Migrants and Minorities: The European Response, Cambridge Scholars Press, 82-97) (pdf).
● Immigration Policy and Its Impact, Report for the International Centre for Economic and Social Studies (CIEES), Madrid.
● Towards A Common European Asylum Policy: Forced Migration, Collective Security and Burden-Sharing, in Freeman, G. and T. Givens (eds.) Immigration after 9/11, New York: Palgrave, pp. 167-186 (pdf).
● EU Asylum Policy and British Exceptionalism, in Donnelly, B.: Odd Man Out? The British Exception: Myth or Reality?, Global Policy Institute & Federal Trust, pp. 61-81 (with El-Enany) (pdf).
● The Future of the Common European Asylum System: In Need of a More Comprehensive Burden-Sharing Approach, Report for the Swedish Institute for European Policy Studies (SIEPS) (pdf)
● Politics and Policies of the European Union, London: University of London Press (with A.Staab and M.Lodge), 168 pages (pdf).
● Refugee Protection and Implicit Burden-Sharing, in Guiraudon V and G Lahav (eds.) Immigration Policy in Europe, New York: Routledge, pp. 151-169 (with T. Dewan).
● The Effectiveness of Governments' Attempts to Control Unwanted Migration, in Parsons C. and Smeeding T. (eds.) Immigration and the Transformation of Europe, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp.442-472 (pdf).
● The Myth of Free-Riding: Refugee Protection and Implicit Burden-Sharing, West European Politics, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 351-69 (with Torun Dewan) (pdf).
● Migrants and Minorities in Europe, Journal of Common Market Studies, Vol. 43, No. 4, pp. 655-71 (with G. Sasse) (pdf).
● Symbolic Politics or Effective Burden-Sharing? Redistribution, Side-Payments and the European Refugee Fund, Journal of Common Market Studies, Vol. 43, No. 4, pp. 807-24 (pdf).
● Dividing Competences: Germany’s Vision(s) for Europe’s Federal Future, Comparative European Politics, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 1-17 (pdf).
● Why European Policy Harmonization Undermines Refugee Burden-Sharing, European Journal of Migration and Law, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 43-61 (pdf).
● European Burden-Sharing and Forced Migration, Journal of Refugee Studies, Vol.16, No.3, pp. 223-35 (pdf).
● European Burden-Sharing and Forced Migration, special issue for the Journal of Refugee Studies, Vol.16, No.3 (guest editor).
● Between Interests and Norms: Explaining Patterns of Burden-Sharing in Europe, Journal of Refugee Studies, Vol.16, No.3, pp. 253-73 (pdf).
● Does Policy Matter? On Governments' Attempts to Control Unwanted Migration, IIIS Discussion Paper No. 9, Trinity College Dublin, November 2003 (pdf).
● The Price of Europeanisation: Why European Regional Policy Initiatives are a Mixed Blessing, Regional and Federal Studies, Vol.12, No.1, pp.43-65 (pdf).
● Nationale Anpassung an Europa: Institutionelle Kompatibilität und Vetopunkte, in Conzelmann Thomas and Michele Knodt (eds.), Regionales Europa—Europäisierte Regionen, Frankfurt: Campus, pp.165-87.
● Institutional Change and European Governance: An Analysis of 'Partnership', Current Politics and Economics of Europe, Vol. 9, No.2, pp.181-198.
● The evolution of a European Asylum Policy: Escaping international and domestic constraints, in Oppermann, Sybille (ed.) Magnet Societies: Immigration in Deutschland und in den USA, Rehburg-Loccum: Evangelische Adademie, pp. 49-80.
● Cross-Border Co-operation at Germany's Eastern Border: Institutional Limits to Multi-Level Governance, in Bachtler, J., Downes, R, and Gorzelak, G. (eds.), Transition, Cohesion and Regional Policy in Central and Eastern Europe, London: Ashgate, pp. 281-98.
● Europeanisation and Institutional Compatibility: Implementing European Regional Policy in Germany, Queen's Papers on Europeanization, Vol.1, No.4.
● Institutional Limits of a 'Europe with the Regions': EC State-Aid Control Meets German Federalism, Journal of European Public Policy, Vol.6, No.3, pp.399-418 (pdf).
● Institutional Limits of a 'Europe with the Regions', in Maslakovic, A., Gross, A. and Tobey, S. (eds.), The Changing Face of Europe, New York: Columbia University, pp. 45-64.
Back to Top
Copyright: London School of Economics & Political Science