I am a Professor of Economics at the London School of Economics and a Research Associate at the Centre for Economic Performance.
Research Interests: Labour Economics, Economics of Education, Applied Econometrics.
Mail: CEP, LSE, Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE, UK
Email: s.pischke at lse.ac.uk
Office: 32 Lincoln's Inn Fields, Room 2.16
Mostly Harmless Econometrics: An Empiricist's Companion
Go to the book website
Princeton University Press, 2009
(with Joshua Angrist)
Mastering 'Metrics: The Path from Cause to Effect
Go to the book website
Princeton University Press, 2015
(with Joshua Angrist)
- "Does Rosie Like Riveting? Male and Female Occupational Choices," Economica 89, January 2022, 110-130 (with Grace Lordan)
- "Of Mice and Merchants: Connectedness and the Location of Economic Activity in the Iron Age," Review of Ecomomics and Statistics 103, October 2021, 652-665 (with Jan David Bakker, Stephan Maurer, and Ferdinand Rauch). Appendix
- "Poorly Measured Confounders are More Useful on the Left Than on the Right," Journal of Business and Economic Statistics 37, April 2019, 205-216 (with Zhuan Pei and Hannes Schwandt).
- "Wage Flexibility and Employment Fluctuations: Evidence from the Housing Sector," Economica 85, July 2018,407-427.
- "Undergraduate Econometrics Instruction: Through our Classes, Darkly," Journal of Economic Perspectives 31, Spring 2017, 125-144 (with Joshua Angrist).
- "The Credibility Revolution in Empirical Economics: How Better Research Design is Taking the Con out of Econometrics," Journal of Economic Perspectives 24, Spring 2010, 3-30 (with Joshua Angrist)
"Peer Effects in European Primary Schools: Evidence from PIRLS," Journal of Labor Economics 27, July 2009, 315-348 (with Andreas Ammermueller). Supplemental material on size and power
- "The Returns to Apprenticeship Training in Austria: Evidence from Failed Firms," Scandinavian Journal of Economics 104, December 2008, 733-753
(with Josef Fersterer and Rudolf Winter-Ebmer)
"Zero Returns to Compulsory Schooling in Germany: Evidence and Interpretation," Review of Economics and Statistics 90, August 2008, 592-598
Longer working paper version, April 2006
(with Till von Wachter).
"The Impact of Length of the School Year on Student Performance and Earnings: Evidence from the German Short School Years," Economic Journal 117, Oct. 2007, 1216-1242. Longer working paper version.
"Comments on 'Workplace Training in Europe' by Bassanini et al.," in: G. Brunello, P. Garibaldi, E. Wasmer (eds.) Education and Training in Europe, Oxford University Press 2007, 330-342.
"Labor Market Institutions, Wages, and Investment: Review and Implications," CESifo Economic Studies 51, 1/2005, 47-75.
- "Minimum Wages and On-the-job Training," Research in Labor Economics 22, 2003, 159-202 (with Daron Acemoglu).
- "Continuous Training in Germany," Journal of Population Economics 14, Sept. 2001, 523-548.
- "Changes in the Wage Structure, Family Income, and Children's Education," European Economic Review 45, May 2001, 890-904 (with Daron Acemoglu).
- "Certification of Training and Training Outcomes," European Economic Review 44, May 2000, 917-927 (with Daron Acemoglu).
- "The Structure of Wages and Investment in General Training," Journal of Political Economy 107, June 1999, 539-572 (with Daron Acemoglu).
- "Beyond Becker: Training in Imperfect Labor Markets" Economic Journal Features 109, February 1999, F112-F142 (with Daron Acemoglu).
- "Observations and Conjectures on the U.S. Employment Miracle," in Third Public GAAC Symposium: Labor Markets in the USA and Germany, Bonn: German-American Academic Council, 1998, 99-126 (with Alan Krueger).
- "Testing for Liquidity Constraints in Euler Equations with Complementary Data Sources," Review of Economics and Statistics 80, May 1998, 251-262 (with Tullio Jappelli and Nicholas Souleles).
- "Why Do Firms Train? Theory and Evidence," Quarterly Journal of Economics 113, Feb. 1998, 79-119 (with Daron Acemoglu).
- "Employment Effects of Immigration to Germany: An Analysis Based on Local Labor Markets," Review of Economics and Statistics 79, Nov 1997, 594-604 (with Johannes Velling).
- "The Returns to Computer Use Revisited: Have Pencils Changed the Wage Structure Too?" Quarterly Journal of Economics 112, Feb. 1997, 291-303 (with John DiNardo).
- "A Statistical Analysis of Crime Against Foreigners in Unified Germany," Journal of Human Resources 32, Winter 1997, 182-209 (with Alan Krueger).
- "Individual Income, Incomplete Information, and Aggregate Consumption," Econometrica 63, July 1995, 805-840.
- "A Comparison of East and West German Labor Markets Before and After Unification," in R. Freeman and L. Katz (eds.) Differences and Changes in Wage Structures, Chicago: University of Chicago Press,1995, 405-455 (with Alan Krueger).
- "Measurement Error and Earnings Dynamics: Some Estimates from the PSID Validation Study," Journal of Business and Economic Statistics 13, July 1995, 304-314.
- "The Effect of Social Security on Labor Supply: A Cohort Analysis of the Notch Generation," Journal of Labor Economics 10, Oct. 1992, 412-437 (with Alan Krueger).
- "Measuring Persistence in the Presence of Trend Breaks: The Case of U.S. GNP," Economics Letters 36, Aug. 1991, 379-384.
- Tue 11:00 - 12:30 in even weeks for MSc students, 2.04 (on 21 Feb in LG.08)
- Fri 1:30 - 2:30 for BSc students, 2.16