TELEVISED EVIDENCE SESSIONS AT UK PARLIAMENT (recent)
House of Lords, Select Committee, Subject: Intergenerational Fairness and Provision, 6 November 2018 | Video (UK Parliament Live TV) (from 12:35 on)
H.M. Treasury, Select Committee, Subject: Budget 2016, 13 April 2016 | Video (UK Parliament Live TV)
INAUGURAL PUBLIC LECTURE (upon Promotion to Full Professor)
OTHER VIDEOS (recent)
My CEP election analysis video on housing and planning (published 24
CENTREPIECE PUBLICATIONS (selected)
Second home investments, CentrePiece, vol. 23, no. 3, Autumn 2018
in brief... Empty homes, longer commutes, with Paul Cheshire and Hans Koster, CentrePiece, vol. 23, no. 1, Spring 2018
Stamp duty, mobility and the UK housing crisis, with Teemu Lyytikainen, CentrePiece, vol. 22, no. 3, Autumn 2017
Land use planning: the impact on retail productivity, with Paul Cheshire and Ioannis Kaplanis, CentrePiece, vol. 16, no. 1, Summer 2011
The Economic Impacts of Constraining Second Home Investments (2018/11) Could abolishing the stamp duty solve the UK housing affordability crisis? (2016/03) On the Unintended Consequences of Housing Policies: A cautionary tale of three developed countries (2016/01) Business Rates & Housing (2015/10) Help to Buy ISAs (2015/03) Help to Buy - Help to Who? (2013/06) QE: the next bubble? (2013/3) Tales of the City (2013/2) Future of British cities? (2013/1) Are British second tier cities too small? (2012/10) Does the stamp duty stop people moving house? (2012/7) Homeownership and entrepreneurship (2012/4) The beginnings of the US housing boom (2011/11) Promoting homeownership (2011/2)
Press & influential blogs referring to EA (selected): LeMonde (2015/4/30) | LeMonde (2015/4/29) | Financial Times (2015/4/29) | The Times (2015/4/28) | Financial Times (2015/4/27) | Guardian (2015/4/26) | Mirror (2015/4/24) | tpa Blog (2015/4/29)
OUTREACH: ARTICLES, PRESENTATIONS, EVIDENCE (archive, selected)
- Two part article in PBC Today on failures and future of British planning system, July and October 2016 issues. (opinion piece - Part 1) (opinion piece - Part 2)
- Presentation on "The Economic Impact of the British Planning and Fiscal System: Business Rates Devolution and other Policy Options", Department for Communities and Local Government, 19 September 2016. (presentation)
- Keynote lecture(s) on "Property Price Dynamics", Humboldt University, MacroHist Summer School Workshop, 15 September 2016. (slides)
- UK Housing and Planning Policies: Evidence from Economic Research, HM Treasury on 6 June 2016. (presentation)
- Written evidence to the HM Treasury Select Committee (House of Commons), 2 May 2016 (corresponds to oral evidence given on 13 April 2016). (written evidence)
- Presentation on 'Housing Markets and Policies in the UK, Switzerland and the US - Lessons learned' (Asian Development Bank - Asian Development Bank Institute, Tokyo, 14 May 2015) (link)
- Presentation on 'Housing Markets and Policies in the UK, Switzerland and the US - Lessons to be learnt?' (Asian Development Bank - Asian Development Bank Institute, Tokyo, 17 December 2014) (link)
- Updated presentation on 'The British System of Land-Use Regulation: Key Features and (Unintended) Economic Consequences' (Centre for Cities, London, 4 December 2013) (link)
- Presentation on 'The British System of Land-Use Regulation: Key Features and (Unintended) Economic Consequences' (Dublin Economics Workshop, Dublin, 28 June 2013) (link)
- Presentation on 'Help to Buy' (Strategic Society Centre Public Debate, London, 5 June 2013) (link)
- Presentation on 'Stamp Duty and Household Mobility' (cemmap Workshop, London, 23 May 2013) (link)
PRESS COVERAGE OF RECENT PUBLICATIONS (archive, selected)
- "The impact of supply constraints on house prices in England" (joint with Wouter Vermeulen), forthcoming in the Economic Journal.
Press: The Times | Financial Times | Telegraph
- "Land Use Regulation and Productivity - Land Matters: Evidence from a UK Supermarket Chain" (joint with Paul Cheshire and Ioannis Kaplanis) published in
Journal of Economic Geography (2015).
- "The mortgage interest deduction and its impact on homeownership decisions"
(joint with Tracy Turner) published in
Review of Economics and Statistics (2014).
Press: Financial Times
- "On the origins of land use regulations: Theory and evidence from US Metro Areas"
(joint with Frederic Robert-Nicoud) published in
Journal of Urban Economics (2013).
Press: LSE press release | VoxEU column
RECENT MENTIONS IN ECONOMIST AND FINANCIAL TIMES (archive, selected)
Economist 10/2015: House Building in Britain (Free Exchange Economics) | Economist 4/2015: Space and the city (Leader) | Economist 4/2015: The paradox of soil (Brief) | Financial Times 2/2015: Comment by Martin Wolf | Economist 10/12: Concrete Gains (Free Exchange)