Main Personal Awards
- Philip Leverhulme Research Prize for work on Economic Geography.
- Winner of the Royal Geographical Society's Gill Memorial Award in recognition of research contributions to understanding regional disparities and regional policies.
- 1st Spanish National Award to the best overall undergraduate performance in Geography, History and History of the Arts.
- 1st Prize of the Complutense University of Madrid to the best overall undergraduate performance in Humanities.
Awards to books, research papers and research service
- Environment and Planning A Referee of the Year Award 2014.
- Winner of the 2014, Regional Studies Best Paper 2014 (published in 2013) for Do Institutions Matter for Regional Development?Regional Studies, Volume 47, Issue 7, July 2013, pages 1034-1047. Voted for by the Editors of Regional Studies.
- Ashby Prize to the most innovative paper published in Environment and Planning A in 2004 (Is there a global link between regional disparities and devolution? Vol 36, 12, 2097-2117, joint with Nicholas Gill).