All files are in PDF format unless otherwise mentioned. Please send comments
- New! Why do People Stay Poor? (with C.
Balboni, O. Bandiera, R. Burgess, and J.A.
Heil), Latest version: December 24, 2020. (Earlier version here)
- New! The
Role of Finance in the Process of Development: Improving Access versus
Reducing Frictions, (with T. Besley and K. Burchardi). Working Paper.
Latest version: April 2021.
Frequency and Lending Contracts with Present-Biased Borrowers, (with
Greg Fischer). Working Paper. Last Revised: September 2016.
on Theories of Sharecropping Tenancy and their Empirical Implications,
Working Paper. Last revised: September 2015.
- New! Guilt, Esteem, and Motivational
Investments (with Z. Wahhaj), CEPR Discussion Paper DP15172, August
- The Evolution of Motivation, (with
T. Besley). Working Paper. First Draft: September 2017.
Incentives and the Evolution of Intrinsic Motivation, (with T.
Besley). Working Paper. First version: February 2016.
Political Economy and Public Policy
- Inequality and Identity Salience,
(with Thierry Verdier) Draft prepared for conference on Public Goods,
Commodification and Rising Inequality, Stanford University, November
2-3 2017. First version: October 2017. (Slides)
- Should all voluntary exchanges be
legal? First version: September 2, 2014.
Older Working Papers
- Solving Agency Problems: Intrinsic Motivation,
Incentives, and Productivity (with Tim Besley). Background paper for
the World Development Report 2015. Last Revised: January 2014.
- Land Acquisition and Compensation in Singur:
Results of a Survey, (with Sandip Mitra, Dilip Mookherjee, and Anusha
Nath), Working Paper, March 2012 [See also press
coverage, and op-ed].
- Microfinance, Market Structure, and Borrower
Welfare in Microfinance: Regulatory Lessons from the Indian Crisis
(with Jon de Quidt and Thiemo Fetzer), Working Paper, March 2012.
- Taxation and Regulation of Bonus Pay, (with Tim
Besley), July 2011. (A
less technical version
was published in Vox and a shorter version in the AEA Papers and
Proceedings, May 2013.
- Credit Rationing, Wealth Inequality and Allocation of
Talent, October 2002, (with Massimo Morelli and Tomas Sjostrom).
STICERD Theoretical Economics Discussion Paper TE/2002/441.
- Gun Control and the Self Defense
Argument, Version: January 2001
- Reputation, Information Externalities, and
Discrimination, Version: September 1999.
- Dynamic Incentives, Occupational Mobility, and the
American Dream, Iowa State University Economic Report Series. 50,
- Empowerment and Efficiency: The Economics of Agrarian
Reform, Working Paper 98-22, Department of Economics, MIT.
Back to the homepage
Last modified: August 2019
©2019 Maitreesh Ghatak, all rights reserved.